14 January 2009

St Fulgentius of Ruspe


Perhaps I should also mention, in a mercifully short post, that today is also the feastday of St Fulgentius of Ruspe, a 5th- and 6th-c. North African bishop and devotee of St Augustine. Unlike the bishop of Hippo, however, St Fulgentius was trained in Greek as well as Latin, and was said to have committed all Homer to memory (I on the other hand am forced to try to impress people by quoting merely the opening line of the Iliad). One can read more about St Fulgentius here. I had occasion to quote his homily on St Stephen (available here) in my post on the Proto-martyr. One can acquire a translation of some of his writings here.

2 comments:

Esteban Vázquez said...

I was very glad to see you quote St Fulgentius' homily on your post on St Stephen, and my joy was complete upon seeing this post dedicated to him. I have a great deal of affection for St Fulgentius and for Sts Alypius and Possidius, all of them disciples of St Augustine (the latter two also his companions and friends from youth). Thanks for spreading the love! :-)

Aaron Taylor said...

Well, when you spread the love, you spread the good vibes and everyone winds up feeling groovy. Well, except for the Azkoulites among us!