21 December 2008

Mea maxima culpa


By now, all and sundry will have noticed that I wrote E.B. Pusey's Christian name as 'Edmund' in the St Ambrose post. I have now amended the grievous error. Furthermore, allow me to point out that this is not intended to be the sort of blog where such things pass by unnoticed and uncorrected. Indeed, I would prefer it not to be the sort of blog where such things happen in the first place, but having blundered terribly, he is a fool who does not correct his mistake. As St John of Karpathos has written:
Do all in your power not to fall, for the strong athlete should not fall. But if you do fall, get up again at once and continue the contest. Even if you fall a thousand times because of the withdrawal of God's grace, rise up again each time, and keep on doing this until the day of your death. For it is written, 'If a righteous man falls down seven times' - that is, repeatedly throughout his life - 'seven times shall he rise again' [Prov. 24:16]. (Texts for the Monks in India, 84; in The Philokalia: The Complete Text, Vol. I, trans. G.E.H. Palmer, et al. [London: Faber, 1983], p. 318)

So I beg your forgiveness, dear readers, and I hope the shade of poor Pusey will bear no grudge against me. This lesson in humility shall not have been in vain.

4 comments:

Esteban Vázquez said...

Wait, wasn't his name Evelyn? No, hold on -- it's Hussey who has a woman's name, Joan. ;-)

;-)

Aaron Taylor said...

Well, there's Evelyn Waugh, male author of 'Brideshead Revisited', and Joan Hussey, the Byzantinist, who really was a woman: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/professor-joan-hussey-470211.html

Esteban Vázquez said...

I know, my friend--hence the joke. :-)

Aaron Taylor said...

Sorry, sometimes it's hard to tell where joke begins in these electronic exchanges!